Re: [Rollei] The Polaroid collection.

At 05:28 PM 03/11/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>on 3/11/02 5:06 PM, Bill Bresler at bigwilly   wrote:
>
>> It's interesting... I do Polaroid SX-70 manipulations every now and then. A
>> year ago the SX-70 Time-Zero film was becoming very scarce around here.
>> (Southeastern Michigan)  Since the bankrupcy announcment the film has
become
>> almost plentiful, even in drugstores, and a lot fresher than before.
What's up
>> with that? I'm still stockpiling.
>> Bill Bresler
>

>I don't have a clue about that one!
>
>I suspect SX-70 film will disappear in the not too distant future.
>
>Bob

 One would have to know something about the potential market of various
Polaroid materials and products to predict which ones will be discontinued.
The company is not going out of business, its trying to recover. Part of
that will be to concentrate on what sells well, or can be made to sell
well, and is profitable or can be made profitable. I say "can be made to
be" because the company has obviously not been well managed for quite a
long time and its possibel they have not been doing a very good job of
moving product.
  My understanding is that many Polaroid photographic materials are
actually made for them by Kodak and/or others. That could be helpful since
there is no overhead in the form of maintaining a physical plant and payroll.
  I think Polaroid may be more vulnerable than conventional materials to
the inroads of digital photograpy because digital offers instant
gratification, or at least rapid access images, and of potentially higher
quality.
  I remember when Polaroid's first "instant" cameras came out. It was
predicted that they would supplant all other photography. Start-up
companies making photographic equipment and materials had a hard time
getting loans because of this idea. Well, in fact, Polaroid cameras hardly
made a dent in the conventional materials business. Polaroid cameras were
treated more as novelties than serious means of getting snapshots. For one
thing, the film was damned expensive and, in fact, the cameas were slow.
Although one had a picture in a minute, one also had to wait for that
minute befor another could be taken. Box cameras did not go away.
 I think digital is a much more serious threat, but that is another
subject. I suspect Polaroid will be around for awhile yet although in
perhaps shrunken form.
  A friend, who worked as a consultant for Polaroid some years ago, left in
disgust because the company was stulfied, sitting on its hands and doing no
research. My friend predicted then that Polaroid would fold, and for the
exact reasons it did fold.
  Its my observation that often companies who have been founded by powerful
personalities don't survive the retirement or death of those founders. I
think Polaroid may be an example.
- ----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA