[Rollei] Separation Issues and Zeiss Lenses

At 10:15 PM 11/5/01 +0000, Joe B. wrote:
>A repairman I spoke to tonight said he's seeing a lot of Zeiss lenses from
the
>60's with what people call balsam problems- he says it is actually optical
>cement and not balsam that is giving this problem with these lenses. I was
>originally asking about a 120 S-Planar for the SL66 that had a "balsam
problem"
>that was going cheap, but he persuaded me that this might not be so easy to
>recement and so I have given up on that idea. The Zeiss lenses for the
SL66 are
>from this period and I wonder how much of a problem this is, or is going
to be.
>And I also wonder if the Rollei-manufactured SL66 lenses are likely to
have this
>problem- maybe they were made differently. I'd really like more information
>because I don't want to buy lenses that have the potential for decementing
>without there being any good fix for the problem. Any additional info
would be
>welcomed.

The problem DOES occur and, yes, it does not involve "Balsam" as Zeiss quit
using Balsam as a cement for lens elements donkey's years back.

The problem only afflicts selected lenses, and I don't recall that the
5.6/120 S-Planar was one such.  The most heavily affected are the 35mm,
85mm, and 115mm Pro-Tessars for the Zeiss Ikon Contaflex III through S line
and the Rolleiflex TLR prism -- and, in these cases, the poor cement used
seems to have only been in use for a very brief window of time, possibly
from 1960 to 1963.  I have never heard of a Rollei-made Zeiss lens
suffering from the problem.

Marc

msmall    FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!