RE: [Rollei] OT: Emerson (2nd Amendment) decision

At 09:37 PM 10/29/01 -0500, Robert Lilley wrote:

>I was looking though an 1890's Sear & Roebuck catalog and there are all of
>these ads for Winchesters and Marlins, etc - all about $15 - $20.  It was a
>very natural thing - like buying a hoe or churn.  Just about every household
>owned a firearm at the turn of the century.

I suspect this is a misconception.  I doubt if 35% of the homes at the turn
of the century included a firearm of any sort.  Remember:  cities were then
in existence!  Think of all those immigrants in Boston, Baltimore,
Philadelphia, San Francisco, New York ...

Now, in 1800, most American homes probably did include a firearm.

Marc

msmall    FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

End of Rollei Users list digest V10 #43