Re: [Rollei] 220 - when it was introduced.

> From: Michael Watkins <watkins  >
> Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 17:13:52 -0700
> To: rollei  us
> Subject: Re: [Rollei] 220 - when it was introduced.
>
> Almost off topic, I was told by one Rollei 6000 series vendor that the 220
> back has been somewhat problematic for that series and they did not
> recommend people purchase one. Does anyone have experience with that back
> or know what the issues, if any, may be?

Which 220 magazine?  There are two.  If you mean the older design which does
not rotate, it is just a modified standard film magazine and, in my
experience, no more troublesome than one of those.  If you mean the newer,
electrically driven one that changes from horizontal to vertical, I own one,
have used it heavily, and only have had one very minor problem with it.

When you place the film insert into the film magazine, it is held in place
by a magnet until you close the door. This is a very clever touch and helps
prevent you from dropping the loaded film insert.  On mine, which was a demo
unit, the little round magnet came loose one day and stuck to the insert.
I pulled it off and finished the shoot without it, and then stuck it back
the next day with a drop of super glue.  It has stayed put since then.

Other than that it has performed perfectly.  I can see how a ham-handed
photographer might screw one up by not rotating it correctly, but if you
follow the directions it should work great.

Bob