From: David Seifert [mailto:dseifert  ]
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 1:01 PM
To: rollei  us
Subject: Re: [Rollei] "macro" photography with a TLR?

Robert,

They did, it's called the SL66 and it excels in every way!  I've been biting
my tongue for a while on this subject.  The notion of using a TLR (with no
movements) with cut film and closeup lenses, no matter how good, is somewhat
ridiculous.  You have all the inconveniences of a view camera (sheet film
and ground glass focusing) with none of the advantages (movements and a
bellows allowing close focus without supplemental lenses).  As fine a tool
as a Rollei TLR is it is not without it's limitations.  Best to recognize
those limitations and use a tool more ideally suited to the task.  I
subscribe to the Contax G list and periodically someone comes up with the
notion of mounting a 500mm lens to a G2, possible yes, practical no.

Best Regards,
David Seifert