Re: [Rollei] Serious lens design question

At 10:17 AM 01/16/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>>> Does the Sonnar 2.8 in the Rollei 35S have front element focusing or
>>> complete lens focusing?
>

>Help me on this... I think the only anastigmats which can be front cell
>focusers are triplets and tessars?
>
>(Interesting design I just came across... the f/2 Ernostar on a friends
>Ermanox 645 freatures a front element which moves on a special helix as you
>adjust the iris to correct for focus shift!!)
>
>Eric Goldstein

  The Ernostar is a variation of the Triplet so should have some of the
same characteristics.
  I believe Dialyte type lenses can also be focused by moving the front
element. Kodak used a four element air spaced lens on the Kodak Reflex
camera. The viewing and taking lenses of this camera are coupled by a gear
arangement which rotates the front part of the lens. I believe this adjusts
only the element spacing not the position of the entire lenses. Perhaps
someone on the list has a Kodak Reflex and will look at it.
  BTW, although Bunny Yeager, the famous Miami glamour photographer, used a
Rolleiflex, much of her early work was done with a Kodak Reflex.
- ----
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles,Ca.
dickburk