Re: [Rollei] The Truth About the Sixth Element ...

Thank you all for your succinct and erudite answers. I just wanted to add
another reply that I got on the Asia TLR site from a bloke called TLRcams.
You will note that they are very similar to Marc James' own response (with
minor differences) and would justifiably support these. Taken as a whole and
crystallised to their core, I would consider these definitive answers to my
queries. Thought that you might want to see this as well:

Answers to the follow queries.

((Are there perceptible differences between the 5 and 6 element 3.5F
pictures in terms of edge definition, or colour cast?))

IMO, based on actual professional assignments and practical usage, you
cannot discern the differences with your naked eye.

((Why would the 3.5F have a colour cast (if indeed it does), where the 2.8F
does not?))

Both do not display any colour cast that I know of. I've shot pictures on
slide film and they display excellent qualities. This is again based on
actual shooting conditions in the field. Not in a lab.

(( What is the truth in the REAL reason for the 6th element?? Was it a
combination of what I have stated or something else?))

It was thought that by having a slight retro focus design this would provide
a larger image circle to combat vignetting.

((Is there truth in the multi-coating of the last batches??))

All Rolleis made after 1950 had the proprietary hard coatings. It is not
known if multi layers were applied. But in the 80s, Rollei introduced the
HFT coating across the production line. The TLRs made then had HFT multi
coatings.

Sorry my answers aren't academic but hopefully informative.   - TLR cams (@
http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/asiatlrphotographyclub)

Regards