Re: [Rollei] 6008i exposure accuracy

Hi Ken:
Yes, Samy's in LA has given up their Rollei rental business and I was given
the impression when I was there in March that they were going to sell the
new equipment they had on hand and not restock. Gasser in San Francisco
does, however, still rent some 600x equipment (alas, not the expensive
Schneider f2.0 and f2.8 lenses).

The 6008i center-weighted metering system is not nearly as complex or
flexible as my Canon EOS-1N, but should have produced better exposures than
you experienced. Not having used a Pentax 645N I can't compare the two.
However, I have found the 6008i exposure meter to function like my old
Nikon F3 and Leica M6, which is to say that as long as you understand that
the subject in the center of the frame is going to have the greatest impact
on the exposure value and you compensate accordingly, then you will be
fine. I have found the exposure correction dial to be very easy to use when
adjusting exposure "on the fly" as I notice subjects in the center of the
frame that are too bright or dark. The 6008i meter may not be the most
flexible one in the medium format world (my experience renting a Contax 645
proved that), but it is certainly capable of producing accurate readings.

I selected the 6008 as my first medium format camera after renting
Hasselblad, Mamiya, and Contax over the course of four years. I found that
for the kind of work I do (documentary-style of people for corporate
communications) it best served my needs. Other than the somewhat antiquated
TTL system and lack of easily accessible rental equipment (none in New
York) the camera has met or exceeded my expectations.

Best of luck with your decision,
Kevin