Re: [Rollei] 6008i exposure accuracy

Ken:

I have owned the Pentax 645N and I agree that the metering system is
extremely accurate.  The only reason that I no longer own the Pentax 645N is
that I couldn't live without interchangeable backs.  I switched to the
Contax 645 and have been extremely happy ever since.

In January I replaced my Hasselblad system with a Rollei 6008i and I have
never regretted a minute of it.     As for the accuracy of the metering
system I have not had a problem with it because I didn't compare it to
anything else.  It is my feeling that every camera reads a little
differently and I test each camera with the films that I use to establish an
ISO rating for each film.   I do know that I can shoot Ilford Delta 400 at
ISO 400 with my Contax but I must use 320 with the Rollei.   The density
reading consistently come out the same.  As long as I know that in advance I
really don't care how it reads.   Also, I usually bracket my shots as well.

I seldom use my Rollei off a tripod and I seldom use my Contax 645 on a
tripod.  The basic reason is the negative size and shape.  I have gone back
and looked at negatives taken with my Pentax and those taken with the Rollei
and I do prefer the Rollei negs.  There appears to be more contrast and I
like the out of focus (bokeh) objects better with the Rollei.  I use
Schneider lenses only on the Rollei.

I would have a difficult time comparing a 645 with a 6x6 negative/camera.
However, that's me and my idiosynchrocies.  Frankly, I need both.   The
Rollei 6008 is, in my opinion, the best value in medium format cameras.  If
my memory is correct I paid $4400 for a camera, 80mm lense, two batteries,
charger, auto charger cord and two backs.    I have been extremely pleased
with the operation and stability of the camera.  It is probably one of the
best kept secrets in the industry.

Whatever decision that you make I hope you are pleased.

Bob Bedwell