Re: [Rollei] Using a polarizer instead of red filter

You can use a PL with B/W just as you would with color and it will not
shift gray rendition of color, but it will not cut haze any more than a UV0
which is could be a concern during summer with high humidity.  It has been
most convenient when I've needed to increase sky/cloud and wanted ND to
shift exposure settings at the same time.

The traditionals are yellow, orange and red in increasing sky contrast.
(Green is sometimes used for sky contrast against skin tones.)  I've found
the yellow, while it does not render as much sky/cloud contrast or haze
reduction, does not shift expected gray rendition of color as much.  Orange
shifts slightly, but usually isn't a problem and does cut distant haze
more.  The one to use carefully is a red 25 or 25A, which is traditionally
for architectural work to create greater contrast between blue sky and gray
(granite, concrete, or marble) buildings and monuments.  The danger is with
buildings that are something *other* than gray, especially if there is red.
 Also not recommended if there are people prominent in the scene as it will
affect skin tone rendition.  Used a red filter with Scala 200X for a red
barn recently just to see what would happen.  Predictably the sky and
clouds had very high contrast but the barn came out a light shade of gray,
so light that it looks unnatural with the rest of the scene.  You can
underexpose using the red to get a dark and ominous scene, sometimes
rendering what appears at first to be a night shot.

BTW, if you like tranparencies *and* B/W, try Agfa's Scala 200X.  It has
excellent image structure for an ISO 200 reversal (rms granularity is about
that of an ISO 100), very good middle gray (not muddy), and surprising
latitude.  It can also be pulled and pushed with the expected decrease and
increase in contrast and granularity.  The ISO 200 allows use of orange and
red filters without ending up down in single digit EI numbers after
correction.  Just got back some portraiture done using it with surprisingly
good results.  It had shadow detail in the black backdrop and white smock
the subject was wearing; at the edge, but not gone.  For a reversal, that
was surprising.  I had though I would lose one or the other!

- -- John

At 07:44 6/17/00 , Jim wrote:
>Does anyone use a polarizer to darken the sky in B&W landscape shots over
a red
>filter? I realize that the sun might not always be at the correct angle for
>this, but in the Southwest, one can make the sky effectively dark purple w/ a
>PL. It would certainly be a lot cheaper, as 95mm B+W multicoated filters
for my
>Schneider lenses cost $$ and are special order only. :-)
>
>--Jim

End of Rollei Users list digest V8 #62