Re: [Rollei] TLR vs. SLR for candid street shots?

At 04:05 PM 6/20/99 -0400, you wrote:
>A Rolleiflex TLR is versatile and quiet but limited to one focal
>length.  Would an equivalent MF SLR 'system' camera (Rollei or Hassy)
>not be a better choice for street photography due to the possibility of
>changing focal lengths?  Or is there something intangible about a TLR
>that I have yet to discover if I make the plunge (I am considering the
>Rolleiflex GX vs. the Hasselblad 203FE- very different beasts).  I am
>looking for words of wisdom backed by experience...
>Regards from Toronto,
>Mark

I've found it quite helpful with street photography to use a camera that is
limited to one focal length. Instead of seeing this as a limitation, try
seeing it as an advantage! One other thought about street photography- I
make a point of never using a camera that is so loud that people look round
to see what made the strange noise they just heard. So a Rolleiflex TLR
could be rather a good choice.

Joe Berenbaum