Re: MERRY CHRISTMAS!m

Marc,
	Merry Christmas and thank you for your message.  You have been a
very generous guide in the few weeks since I joined the list, and I
appreciate it very much.  Be not too dismayed by the Christmas giving and
receiving; gift exchange is one of the more ancient customs bequeathed to
us by our Germanic ancestors (remember -- they guys who had not yet
invented the  button when the Oxyrynchus tax assessment was being
compiled). The language is primitive but it runs deep.

On Tue, 24 Dec 1996, Marc James Small wrote:

> Even this benighted Scrooge must wish all and sundry the best of the
> holidays.  My Scottish soul finds the frivolities a bit much -- I mean, if
> you want to Ceilidh, well, break out the Water of Life and the pipes and
> let's have at it, and forget the presents and the cards and all such -- but
> it IS a season of deep meaning to us and to ours.
>
> And may the Peace of God which passes all understanding -- well, maybe we
> need a bit of this in our E-Mail from time to time.
>
> Peace, brethren and sistren, peace to all of us.
>
> Marc
>
> PS:  AND a 2.8F and a titanium M6 and a ...
>
> msmall    FAX:  +540/343-7315
> Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

John Drendel

Departement d'Histoire